Friday, May 29, 2015

Genealogy Story – Seth Thomas

There was one important person in Farmingbury/Wolcott history that I have been wishing that I could able to establish a connection to. It took me a while of researching a variety of family trees, but I was finally able to make the connection. I’d like to title this the story of Mary(s) and Martha(s).

The story begins with a man named Samuel Tuttle (1659-1733) who lived in New Haven. His grandfather, William Tuttle, had emigrated from England in 1635 as part of the Great Migration. Samuel and his wife had several children, among them were two girls named Mary (b. 1684) and Martha (b. 1694). Like many families, they gave their children biblical first names – some of the other children were Daniel, Sarah, and Stephen.

Let’s follow Mary first.

Mary married Ebenezer Frost. They had a daughter – named not too unexpectedly, Mary.
Mary married Isaac Blakeslee. They had a son – named not too unexpectedly, Isaac.
Isaac married Lydia Alcott (recognize that last name?). They had a daughter – named as expected, Mary.
This last Mary married Ezra Pierpont.

So, after a run of three Marys, we have the connection to the Pierpont family and thus a few generations later to my mother, Sylvia [Pierpont] Russell and then myself. That makes Samuel Tuttle my great*7 grandfather.

Now let’s follow Martha.

Martha married John Smith. They had a daughter, named appropriately Martha.
Martha married Caleb Barnes. They had a daughter, named (what would you expect?) Martha
Martha married James Thomas, a recent immigrant from Scotland. They had a son, Seth.

So, after a run of three Marthas, we finally get to Seth Thomas, the clockmaker from Wolcott (it was still Farmingbury when he was born in 1785, but Wolcott by the time he was a clockmaker). Samuel Tuttle is his great-great-grandfather.

That means that Seth Thomas is my 3rd cousin, 5 times removed.

This was probably one of the more interesting bits of genealogy research that I’ve done and when I saw all the Mary and Martha names, I just knew that it had to be a separate blog post instead of just including it with all the others in the list.



1 comment:

  1. Seth Thomas was born, or at least lived (possibly built?) in a house on what became the Carl and Hilma Peterson farm property at Spindle Hill Road and Mad River Road. That house had been unoccupied for several years when my parents (Howard Kraft and Marian Northrop) married in 1931 and were offered the house rent free by the Petersons (cousins) in exchange for making the house liveable. My older brother Charles was born in 1932 and lived there until my parents moved up the road to a "house/garage" they built on property purchased from the Petersons. Subsequently, Albert Peterson (son of the farm owners) and his wife Doris lived in the Seth Thomas house for a number of years and raised their children there.

    ReplyDelete