Saturday, June 13, 2015

Genealogy Story – My Great Aunts – Part 1

Introduction

My growing-up years included many interactions with my uncles and aunts. My father had one sister, my mother had two brothers and two sisters. Each of them married once, stayed with that spouse for the rest of their lives, and we had many cousins. Naturally, the amount of interaction we had with each varied with distance – we were closest to the ones just down the street, a little less close to the ones across town, and least close to the one across the country. But even the most distant physically was still “part of the family.”

But this story is about the connections to the next level up the genealogy tree – our relationships with the siblings of my grandparents and their families. As we shall see, there are many more complications. Because of these complications, I’m going to explore this topic one grandparent at a time. Then once everything is unraveled, I’ll discuss the four great-aunts remaining in a concluding section.

My mother’s father

My mother’s father, Harold Pierpont, was the youngest of eight children. One of them had died at the age of three and before my grandfather was born, so he had six brothers and one sister when he was born. However, his mother died when he was only two weeks old due to complications from childbirth. I’m not sure how much was due to his father resenting him because of this, or whether his father did not feel able to raise a small child (the next youngest being age five), but at any rate, my grandfather was sent to the next town to be raised by some older relatives. Even though it was only a few miles away, those were the days before most people had access to an automobile, so it might just as well have been on the other side of the state.

Because of this, my grandfather was essentially raised as an only child, with no contact with his siblings. Later, after he was married, he moved back to the same area and some of his older siblings lived in nearby houses, there was still little contact. From my perspective, although we visited with our grandparents frequently, I did not even know who his siblings were and if you asked me to name them today I’d have to refer to a genealogy chart. So while I have several biological great uncles and aunts from this part of the family, for all practical purposes I have none.

My mother’s mother

My mother’s mother, Sarah [Blackman] Pierpont, was one of three children. She had an older brother and a younger sister. While my mother had a relationship with both her uncle and aunt when she was younger, her uncle Stan[ley] made some life choices that severed his relationship with the rest of the family.

In early 1931, having separated from his wife and their two children (ages 16 and 7), Uncle Stan drove across the country to Las Vegas, taking his new love interest and her two small children with him. For 1931, this was a tremendously long trip. After establishing “residency”, he divorced his first wife and re-married (both on the same day), then drove back to Connecticut with his new wife. This was pretty scandalous and he had few connections with the rest of his first family from then on. So, while I knew of Uncle Stan, and I had heard the names of his children (from both marriages), I don’t recall ever meeting any of them.

My grandmother’s sister, Edna Blackman, never married and continued to be part of the family. We’ll meet her again in part three.



No comments:

Post a Comment