Saturday, June 13, 2015

Genealogy Story – My Great Aunts – Part 2

My father’s family

My father’s parents did not have a good relationship. They separated when he was a preschooler. A few years later they tried to get back together (when my father was in first grade), but it didn’t work out and they then divorced. His mother raised him and his sister for a few years on her own, then she married again to a man 30 years her senior. From second grade until his junior year in high school my father had no contact with his birth-father. He lived with his mother and step-father for about 6 years, then left and lived with his grandparents. Meanwhile, his birth-father also remarried – to a woman 10 years older than he was. So, for this part of the story, I need to include my father’s step-father and step-mother and their siblings as well as the siblings of his birth-parents.

My father’s mother

My father’s mother, Vera [Levy] [Russell] Rogers, only had one sibling, a sister Irene. The two sisters maintained a good relationship through all the turmoil above and my father often spent his summers on the farm with his Aunt Irene and Uncle Joe. We’ll pick up their story in part 3.

My father’s step-father, Charles Rogers, had one brother, James, who had passed away before I was born. However, since Charles was so much older than Vera, he probably seemed more like a grandfather than a father to my dad. I recently acquired an old snapshot of Charles that was labeled “Poppy Rogers” as that is what my father called him. I had a good relationship with him in my younger years. Charles went into an “old folks home” (these days we would call it an independent living unit) in the early 1950s where he lived until he passed away in his 90s.

My father’s father

Besides the above circumstances of my father’s parents divorcing and remarrying, my grandpa, Erskine Russell, came from a family of less than ideal circumstances. He was the oldest of six children, four boys and two girls. His mother died when his youngest sister was only a few years old and his father then split up the family.

The two youngest boys went to live with relatives in New Milford. One, Allen, died a few years later. The other, William, remained with that family and never rejoined his father. I only met him once in about 1960, but essentially he was not part of our extended family. The final brother, Linus, suffered from exposure to poison gas in WWI and spent the rest of his long life in various VA hospitals. Although he was still living when I was born, I never met him. Thus, for all intents, I had no great-uncles on this side of the family.

My grandfather’s second wife was an English immigrant. While my father eventually reconciled with his birth-father and step-mother, and she was still part of our extended family when I was growing up, the fact that my parents called her “Aunt Bess” is some indication of her connection to the family. She had no other relatives in the US. We grandchildren called her “Nana”. While we occasionally visited them, the fact that my father had been estranged from his father for so long and only met his step-mother when he was older meant that there was not the same type of relationship that we had with my mother’s parents. Their small house was also very formal, with antimacassars on all the chairs, and nothing that we grandchildren were allowed to touch. Nana was also still very “English” and somewhat proper and that made it difficult to know how to relate to her.


In contrast, my grandfather’s two sisters, Pauline and Loretta, were part of our extended family and we will see them in the final part of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment