Monday, November 2, 2015

Another Book Almost Ready for Publishing

Five weeks ago today I received an email from an elderly lady I didn’t know. But as she explained who she was I realized that I knew three of her cousins (two of whom have passed on in the last few years), and I also knew her mother who passed away in 1988. She had heard about me from her one cousin I knew who was still living and for whom I had helped publish a book a few years ago. She was interested in seeing if I could help her publish a book of devotions and memoirs that she had gathered.

The last five weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind as I took all the individual devotions and stories, gathered them and reformatted them into book format, scanned several pictures that she sent me, proofed everything, created a suitable cover based on the basic thought about what it should look like, and got everything ready for printing. Now I’m just waiting for a final review by her and I should be able to submit for printing by the end of this week.

That’s the beauty of the new tools that are available for self-publishing. No longer do you have to work with a publishing company and an editor, get their approval if they see a sufficient market for it. Everything is “print on demand”, i.e. your order through Amazon.com or some other outlet is what triggers the printing of just the number you order – usually within minutes of you submitting the order.

I have an account with a company by the name of CreateSpace which is a subsidiary of Amazon.com. And I’ve done enough different books through them that I get a very good price for the printing. The copies of this new book, “Journeys with God” are about 140 pages and cost less than $2.50 per copy (plus shipping, which is pretty reasonable if I order any sizeable quantity, and taxes).

I have enjoyed working with Marilyn for the past five weeks and the joy on her face when I gave her a proof copy for her review earlier today makes the whole thing worthwhile. I don’t do this as a money-making venture, I just enjoy using the skills I have in a way that gives happiness to others.

This is my 13th book in the last six-and-half years. Total copies printed per book have ranged from just a few dozen to over a thousand. None of them will ever make the New York Times best seller list. But each one has made someone happy that the things they have written can be distributed to their family and friends and not just be a collection of papers in a box that will gather dust in someone’s basement or attic.




No comments:

Post a Comment