Thursday, April 27, 2017

A Challenge

To the readers of my blog:

This is the first time that I have ever used my blog to ask people for anything. I do not do this lightly, as I am aware that there are many good things that people can donate to. But this is for a cause that most if not all of you have ever heard of. And I have a personal connection to it that I will explain below. If you do not give in response to such appeals, I understand – you can just stop reading here. But if you want to learn something and perhaps would consider a donation, please keep reading.

About 2-1/2 years ago, my brother-in-law George (husband of my sister Dawn), went to the emergency room for a kidney stone. While he had that (and having had one myself, it is not pleasant), he also received an initial diagnosis of Peritoneal Carcinomatosis. Later tests would hone in on “Stage IV Pseudomyxoma Peritonei” (PMP for short). This is a rather rare disease with fewer than 10 people in a million being diagnosed annually. And like many rare diseases, funding for research for cures is very limited. There are also limited surgeons and oncologists who specialize and/or treat this disease.

After two rounds of surgery, George is no longer a candidate for further chemotherapy and is on a “watch and wait” mode to see how things progress. Dawn has recently retired in order to devote more time to be with George.

She has also decided to launch a fundraiser to benefit ACPMP, the organization which supports research and education of people with this type of cancer. Below is what she said in a recent email to me.

I have taken her up on her challenge and have made a substantial donation to her campaign. Since I am “folicly challenged” and have not much hair to create my own challenge, I am choosing instead to broadcast this via my blog.

So, if you have any interest, check out her website below, read her story, and consider how/if you want to be involved.

Thanks!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am hoping you will help in a number of ways.
1.  Donate to MY campaign
OR
2.  Create a mini challenge of your own (If you've had long hair for a long time and will cut it really short and think people will pay to have you do so?  Or, for guys, if you have facial hair and will shave it off for a price?  That sort of thing.  Should be "hair related"
AND
3.  PLEASE FORWARD THE LINK TO ALL YOUR CONTACTS.  To make it more effective, if you include a personal note in the email that tells them how you are connected and how this affects you, it will have more success.

I have a lofty goal to get $10K directly to myself!  But I know that if everyone in my contact list participates and forwards it along, then I can meet the goal!

If you don't do # 2, then the preference is to contribute to me directly!

I am giving this campaign 3 months.  On August 12 (tentative date right now), I hope to hold a fundraiser celebration with an "audience" to watch my hair go away.  I will conduct a silent fundraiser at the same time for additional funds for ACPMP as well as PMP Pals.  I need help getting places to donate gift certificates, gifts, prizes, etc.  I can provide donation forms and receipts.  

Here's my page:  https://careangels.acpmp.org .  On here you will find the challenge, and the home page that tells the story of how I created the name.  You will also see the "home team" (LOL)!  It’s the cover photo of the Hair Today Gone Tomorrow page.

And away we go!  


1 comment: