Friday, March 23, 2018

Famous American Ancestors


Both my ancestors and my wife’s ancestors have been in America since the 1630s. Since that pre-dates the founding of the US by over a century, there has been a lot of time for successive generations to meet and marry into other families. This has led to several instances where some of my distant cousins have become famous Americans.

I’ve written about some of them previously, but I thought it would be interesting to see if there were others that I could discover. Here is what I have found so far. I’ve left off the “x times removed” which would be needed to account for the difference in ages.

·       Louisa May Alcott (author) – 3rd cousin
·       Aaron Burr (vice-president) – 2nd cousin
·       Sara Van Alen Collier (wife of publisher Peter Collier) – 7th cousin of my wife
·       Calvin Coolidge (president) – 7th cousin of my wife
·       Jonathan Edwards (Puritan preacher) – great*7 uncle
·       Nathan Hale (patriot) – his first cousin married my great*7 aunt
·       Ernest Hemingway (author) – 9th cousin
·       John Pierpont Morgan (banker) – 3rd cousin
·       Hezekiah Pierrepont (founder of Brooklyn NY) – 2nd cousin
·       James Lord Pierpont (writer of Jingle Bells) – 3rd cousin
·       James Pierpont (founder of Yale University) – great*7 grandfather
·       Eleanor Roosevelt (wife of president) – 6th cousin of my wife
·       Theodore Roosevelt (president) – 5th cousin of my wife
·       Harriet Beecher Stowe (author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin) – 5th cousin
·       Seth Thomas (clock maker) – 3rd cousin
·       Mark Twain (author) – next door neighbor of Harriet Beecher Stowe above
·       Martin Van Buren (president) – 3rd cousin of my wife
·       Noah Webster (dictionary) – 3rd cousin of my 2nd cousin
·       Eli Whitney (inventor) – husband of my 2nd cousin


No comments:

Post a Comment