Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Church Cousins


Over the past few months I have been working at a major genealogical research project to try and document the ways that the members of our church are related to each other. I called this project the “Bethel Web” (*1). Thus far I have identified nearly 80% of the people at church have connections to each other. Most of this is because the roots of the church are in the Germans who settled in eastern PA during the colonial period. So, names like Kauffman, Schultz, and other obviously German names are pretty common in this area.

Most of the family lines of these individuals stay within the confines of southeastern PA. But there are some people who have come to this area from NE PA, Central PA, or Western PA, but the families in those part of the state were also German and going back in history they originally came to the US from SE PA where the connections to other church families are made.

My own family tree is nearly entirely of English ancestry, so I did not expect to find many people in church who had a cousin relationship to me. I had earlier found one in a close friend (*2), but I thought that was an outlier. Thus I was surprised when I was able to find a total of eight people at church who were distant relatives of mine (other than my wife, daughter, and grandchildren)! Let me examine each in turn to show the family lines where we connect.

The first five individuals are connected to me in only one way (that I have discovered) and usually this connection is through an individual who came from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony during the time of the Great Migration. The last three are people who have ancestors from Connecticut and who connect to me in multiple ways.


Jared Burkholder

Jared’s connection to me is on his mother’s side. His maternal grandmother was Virginia Pettengill. Virginia’s grandfather, William Pettengill, moved to PA from VT. But Williams’s mother, Charlotte Stevens, was born in NH. The Stevens family had been in NH for several generations, but her great-great-grandfather, Ebenezer Stevens, had been born in MA. Ebenezer’s grandfather (and Jared’s great*9 grandfather), John Stevens, came to MA from England in 1650. John is also my step great*9 grandfather through my father’s step-father. So that makes us tenth cousins.


Shannon Gross

Shannon’s parents were from CT. Her paternal grandmother’s maiden name was Bates. Going back, but all in CT, the line I followed included the last names of Bates, Dyke and Gaines. The Gaines family had been in CT for nearly 200 years, but Samuel Gaines (1638-1700) had moved to CT from MA. His grandfather (and Shannon’s great*11 grandfather was Captain John Partridge who lived in England. John is also my great*10 grandfather, making Shannon my eleventh cousin, once removed.


Ed Harrison

Ed’s connection to me involves a great number of female connections, so there are many name changes going back that family line. His mother’s grandfather was Frederick Stebbins, but Frederick’s mother was Hannah Rogers who had been born in New London County, CT. Going back strictly through maternal connections, the last names are Burch, Birch, Tubbs, Perkins, Hazen, and Lathrop – all in New London County, CT. Abigail Lathrop’s grandfather was John Lathrop. John’s father, Samuel had been born in England and he came to MA as a young boy with his family in 1634. John is Edward’s great*10 grandfather as well as my great*8 grandfather, making Edward my ninth cousin, twice removed.


Rick Howells

Like many of these individuals, the line back to a common ancestor with myself is non-trivial. In Rick’s case the last several generations were in PA (Rick <- Richard Howells (1933-1981) <- Arthur Howells (1909-1967) <- Mary Bellis (1880-1961) <- Mary Staples (1852-1934). Mary’s father, David Staples, came to PA from Ulster, NY. The next few generations were also in Ulster County (Rebecca Wygant <- Eunice Wyatt). Eunice’s father, Nathaniel Wyatt IV moved to NY from Fairfield County, CT. That family was in CT going back through Rick’s great*10 grandfather, John Waterbury, who came from England to Watertown, MA, in 1630 and then moved to CT in 1646. John is also my great*11 grandfather, making Rick my eleventh cousin, once removed.


Holly Nonnemacher

Holly’s maiden name is Newell. Simply tracing that family line back on the male side, her great-grandfather, John Newell, moved to PA from Worchester, MA, in the early 1800s. Continuing back, her great*10 grandfather, Abraham Newell, came to the Massachusetts Bay Colony from England in 1634. Abraham is my great*9 grandfather, thus Holly is my tenth cousin, once removed.


Bob Davies (repeated from *2)

In tracing back Bob’s maternal grandfather, I found that the Ackley family moved to Bradford County PA from Connecticut. Since genealogy records from Connecticut are pretty robust, I was able to trace it back several more generations quite easily. In the process I began to notice family names that occur in my own family tree – which has been in Connecticut for over 300 years. So, I took some of those family names and began checking to see if Bob’s ancestral lines intersected with my own. I have found three such connections.

Bob’s great*4 grandmother was Abigail Doane. Her ancestral line goes back to John Doane (b. 1575 in England), but John is also my ancestor on my father’s side. Through this connection Bob is my tenth cousin, once removed.

Another of Bob’s ancestors is Sarah Andrews who was born in Waterbury, CT – the same town that I was born in. Her father, Abraham Andrews is also an ancestor of mine on my mother’s side, making Bob my eighth cousin, once removed.

Finally, another family in Bob’s ancestral line is the Terrill family where Daniel Terrill is Bob’s great*6 grandfather and my great*7 grandfather, making Bob my seventh cousin, once removed, again on my father’s side.

Ruth Gavin

Ruth’s paternal grandmother, Elenora Ketchum, was born in NY. Her maternal grandfather was James Russell Chauncy. His middle name came from his mother, Phebe Russell. Her paternal Russell line goes back to MA and then to England where it connects with some of my ancestors (interestingly, on my mother’s side, not my father’s). Through this connection Ruth is my eleventh cousin.

But there is another whole collection of connections through James’s great-great-grandmother, Rachel Tuttle, who was born in New Haven, CT – where all of my maternal ancestors came from. Of Rachel’s eight sets of great-great-grandparents (and Ruth’s great*10 grandparents), five of them (Jonathan Tuttle, John Cooper, John Thomas, Stephen Goodyear, and William Wooding) are also my great*8 grandparents. This makes Ruth my ninth cousin, twice removed, five different ways!


Linda [Booth] Reinhart

Linda’s father comes from a family with multiple generations of steam boat captains who worked on the Ohio River. Her great-grandfather, John Kent Booth, was born in OH, but his parents had been born in CT. Being in CT for 150 years, that gave lots of opportunity for connections to myself. I have documented the following ancestors we have in common:

·       Richard Booth (1607-1687) (two ways)
·       Samuel Sanford (1643-1691)
·       Samuel Blakeslee (1599-1672)
·       Thomas Fairchild (1610-1670)
·       Richard Ogden (1610-1687)
·       Humphrey Hyde (1614-1684)
·       Elnathan Botsford (1671-1691)
·       James Bennett (1645-1736)

Through these multiple connections, Linda is eighth/ninth/tenth cousin.


Notes:



No comments:

Post a Comment