Sunday, April 26, 2020

Genealogy Story – Sam and Hattie Nichols


I have always lamented that, unlike my wife, I never had the chance to know any of my great-grandparents when I was growing up. Most of them died long before I was born, with the exception of my paternal grandfather’s father and step-mother who died in the mid-1940s while my father was in the South Pacific during WWII. The year of death and age of each of each of them is given in (*4) below.

However, in doing that thinking, I have neglected the couple who raised Harold Pierpont, my maternal grandfather. I have written about them before (*1, *2, *3), but never done any real investigation into their lives. Sam Nichols died in 1956 at the age of 83, and his wife Hattie died in 1962 at the age of 90. Thus, both of them were living in Prospect when I was growing up in Wolcott and Hattie did not pass away until I was in eighth grade. Here is a bit more of their story.

[Nichols Grave]



Samuel Nichols

The Nichols family had lived in the Woodtick area of Wolcott for several generations. Nichols Road is named for the family. Erastus had been born in 1798 around the time that Wolcott became an official town. His son, Samuel Sr, and grandson, Samuel Jr, had also been born in that area. As I noted in (*2), the Nichols families (Erastus and Samuel Sr), lived close to the Root and Hall families. After it was built in 1883, they probably all attended the church in Mill Plain together (it is about the same distance away as the church in the center of Wolcott, but a much flatter road than winding up to the center of Wolcott on top of a hill). Thus, the Nichols, Root, and Hall families were all close friends as well as being friends with the Pierponts who also attended that church.


Hattie Chandler

Hattie (short for Harriet) had been born in Prospect where her parents had a farm. The Chandler family had been there for a few generations, although her Chandler great-grandfather had immigrated from Ireland in the early 1800s. Her other ancestral lines (Morse, Peck, and Hotchkiss) were all of early Connecticut families.

Hattie’s maternal grandmother, Julie Hotchkiss, was originally from Wolcott (having married there in 1849) and was thus also part of the small group of families in the Woodtick area along with the Merrill, Nichols, Root, and Hall families. It’s possible that she was responsible for the introduction of her granddaughter, Hattie, to Sam.


Sam and Hattie

It’s a matter of conjecture how Sam and Hattie met as they were from different towns, but both their families were farmers, and as noted above their extended families knew each other in Wolcott, so there are several possibilities. They married in 1894 when they were each about 22 years old. They never had children of their own.

As I noted in (*1), my grandfather’s mother passed away just a few days after he was born due to complications from childbirth. He had six older siblings living at the time (ages 18, 16, 13, 9, 7, 5). With 16-year-old Edith able to take care of the house, his father, Wilson, apparently felt able to manage the older children, but taking care of an infant was going to be difficult. So, for whatever reason, he gave my grandfather into the care of Sam and Hattie. They were a young, childless couple of age 24/25 and willing to do so. When Wilson remarried four years later, Sam and Hattie continued raising my grandfather.

Sam and Hattie never officially adopted my grandfather. In both the 1900 and 1910 census he is listed as being a “border”. But they had help in raising him. In the 1900 census, Sam and Hattie are living next door to her uncle Moses and his wife, and in the 1910 census they are living next door to her parents, her brother, and her nephew. So, my grandfather, while not officially a member of the family, was well taken care of by the extended Chandler family.

Since my grandmother, then Sara Blackman, lived just a short distance away and she was also surrounded by her extended family (*3) (Blackman, Talmadge, Cowdell (their mother was also a Hotchkiss)), when my grandparents married, it was just one more connection between these two extensive family groups from Prospect.

I wish that I had the opportunity while growing up at meeting this wonderful couple from Prospect. While they are not biological family, they were more the parents to my grandfather than his biological father and step-mother would have been.


Notes:

*4 – great-grandparents death year and age:
·       Louis Russell – 1946 (74)
·       Anna Pauline [Merchant] Russell – 1903 (32)
·       Helen [Madigan] [Pulver] [Waldron] Russell – 1945 (77) (step-mother)
·       Maurice Levy – 1910 (40)
·       Caroline [Northrop] Levy – 1935 (63)
·       Wilson Pierpont – 1921 (66)
·       Annie [Merrill] Pierpont – 1898 (39)
·       Anna [Root] [Hall] Pierpont – 1938 (85) (step-mother)
·       Clarence Blackman – 1929 (59)
·       Alice [Talmadge] Blackman – 1929 (58)


No comments:

Post a Comment