I was saddened this weekend to hear of the passing of my cousin Dave. While we were not real close in recent years, he was my best friend during our time of growing up in Wolcott, CT. As I sat with tears in my eyes due to his passing, I was also overwhelmed by all the things that came flooding back from my memories of him. I’d like to relate all these things for posterity and hopefully give you readers a sense of why and how were so close.
Setting
the Stage
My father
had a rough time growing up with his parents getting divorced, remarried, etc.
When he was 16 and in 11th grade his older sister got a job at
Scovill in Waterbury and the two of them moved there to live with his grandfather,
Louis Russell. His world then began to revolve around that part of Waterbury as
well as with his classmates at Leavenworth (the vo-tech of its day) and with
the local church, Mill Plain. One of his best friends was Clarence Pierpont
(known as Zeke) who was a classmate as well as he attended that same church.
The two of them became buddies. Zeke was 2 months older, having been born on 9/9/1920
and my father on 11/20/1920. They both began working after high school.
During the
war, my father was one of the church members who served in the military and whom
those not in the military corresponded with. This eventually turned into a
relationship with Zeke’s younger sister, Sylvia. This relationship was cemented
in April 1946 when my father had a short leave from the Navy and this turned
into a marriage in September of that same year. My father had always wanted a
large tract of land and so he used his separation pay to buy a 23-acre piece of
property in the north of Wolcott. The roads were only dirt and there was only
Witham Rd (named after the prior owner of that land) and Seery Rd (named after
the developer of that part of Wolcott). There were only 3 homes in that
development.
Meanwhile,
Zeke had also finished his military service and was living back home with his
parents in Waterbury. He was involved in the YTC (Youth Temperance Council) of
their church and through that activity became acquainted with a member of the YTC
from Meriden, Barbara (Babs) Bishop. He used that connection to attend YTC
meetings with her and they were married in early 1948. My father participated
in their wedding. Meanwhile, Mr. Witham, having sold his original house to my
parents, had begun building another house in an offshoot of Seery Rd in 1947. But
where for Zeke and Babs to begin their married life? What better than near his
best friend, my father. They purchased that small house from Mr. Witham in
1948. The offshoot of Seery Rd had not yet been named, so when they went to the
town hall to register their move, the town clerk gave them the option of naming
it, so they chose Barclare – the combination of their two names.
This
friendship and closeness of the two families was to last for the next 60 years.
The
Next Generation
Both the
Russell and Pierpont families did not waste a lot of time in starting their
respective families. My mother became pregnant in the fall of 1947, Babs became
pregnant about in early summer of 1948. Thus, it was only natural that their
respective children would also become best friends. Both families eventually
had five children – three boys and two girls. Two of them, Charles (Chuck) Russell
and Robert (Rob) Pierpont, were born only 3 days apart in 1954 and with the then
practice of a week of confinement, both Sylvia and Babs were in the hospital
together. The final children, Sandy Pierpont and Edward Russell, were also born
just a few weeks apart in Dec 1957 and Jan 1958.
Dave and I
just naturally became best friends as well as relatives and neighbors. I could
see the Pierpont house out my 2nd floor window over the two intervening
yards. Our parents also continued their close relationship over the decades.
Two examples come to mind. One year our grandfather gifted the two men an
extension ladder – but he gave one half of the ladder to my father and the
other half to my Uncle Zeke. So, if either man needed the benefit of the longer
ladder, he just borrowed the other portion. Secondly, when Uncle Zeke passed
away in Mar 2006, my father’s words were, “I’ve lost my best friend!” That
played into his own loss of will to live and he died just six months later.
Growing,
Playing, and Working Together
With the
close connection of our parents, and with both Dave and I being the oldest of 5
children, the opportunities to become close ourselves was natural. The earliest
picture I have of the two of us was taken around June of 1949 when I was 10
months old and Dave was just 3 months old. Our respective mothers were standing
together outside the back door of our home and showing off their first-borns. The
other picture was taken in the summer of 1955 when Dave and I were 6 and 7
respectively. I’m the one in the back with the coonskin cap and Dave has his
arm wrapped around his younger brother Rob.
[Dave
pictures]
There was
a well-worn path between our respective houses (but avoiding the intervening
yards as they liked their privacy). But there were also paths in the woods
behind our house that went past the pond, past the two pine trees, and through
the blueberry glen, eventually coming out at the end of Barclare Lane. With the
safety of the isolated neighborhood, we had lots of opportunities to play
together. The only thing preventing even closer togetherness was that the grade
cutoff in Wolcott at the time was the end of the calendar year. So, since I had
been born in 1948 and Dave in 1949, we were in different grades in school. Instead,
Dave became a classmate of my sister Beth, even though he was closer in age to
me (7 months) than to her (9 months).
We also
began working together. Some of that was volunteering. When my parents’ house
needed to have a new roof, my father contracted with a neighbor. As they ripped
off all the old cedar shakes, they tossed them down into the yard where Dave
and I gathered them up. But some working together was for pay. Mr. Seery began
clearing a section of the woods at the far end of Barclare and turning the
trees into charcoal. He would load the branches into a structure of
metal/cinder block, seal the entrance, and light it on fire. Over several days
the wood would turn into charcoal. But then it needed to be bagged so it could
be sold. That job was assigned to Dave and I. One would use a shovel scoop to
gather a small pile of charcoal, the other would hold the bag open for the
shovel to be emptied in, and then when full the bag would be sealed with a
metal twist-tie. Mr. Seery paid us so much per bag. When we came home, we would
be black with charcoal dust and be sent immediately to the bathroom to wash up.
This same
working together would come into play in another way. For a while, Uncle Zeke
was the head of the local forest fire crew. In those days the local volunteer
fire company would handle structure fires and anything that they could reach
with their hoses. But if the fire was back in the woods, there were state forest
fire crews who had “Indian tanks,” fire rakes, and brooms to make breaks in the
leaves and put out the burning stumps. Although we were not technically old
enough, Dave and I were part of his dad’s crew. Most fires occurred during the
summer when there was no school, but there were even rules about how we could
be released from school in the spring/fall if needed. Dave and I worked alongside
each other on many fires – either in Wolcott or in surrounding towns.
Heading
Off to Later Life and Marriage
As I
mentioned above, I was a year ahead of Dave in school. When I graduated in
1966, I went to college in Michigan where I spent the next 5 years. Toward the
end of that time, I met and fell in love with the woman who became my wife,
Donna. We got engaged on 9/5/1970 and married the following year. We lived in
CT for the next 4 years, then moved to PA in 1975 where we still live.
Meanwhile,
Dave chose a military route – enrolling in the US Air Force. After the war he was
assigned to Langley AFB in Hampton, VA, where he met the woman of his dreams, Bev.
They were engaged just two weeks after Donna and I. But they set the date of
their marriage for 6/19/1971, a month before Donna and I got married on
7/17/1971. So, while I was born 7 months before Dave, and graduated from high
school a year before him, he married a month before me!
Dave and
Bev remained in VA until Dave’s passing this weekend. Donna and I remained in
PA. Both couples had their 55th anniversary earlier this summer.
There were other parallels – both couples had two children: two girls to Dave
and Bev, one boy and one girl to Donna and I.
Later
Connections
Living in
separate states, there were not too many opportunities for face-to-face meetings
in the last half-century. Most of these were when both couples were visiting
family back in CT – either during the summer or at Christmas. My children also
remember meeting them when they stayed with their grandparents in Wolcott for a
few weeks each summer.
But there
was one time when we met in VA. I had taken my two children on an extended
vacation to the south. We went down through DE and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge
to VA where we stayed on the beach. The following day we went to Dave and Bev’s
house for a visit. We then continued west to Monticello, up through VA to Luray
Caverns and then back to PA with a stop at Gettysburg.
We also
have maintained touch through social media – being friends of each other in
Facebook. While it’s not the same as meeting face-to-face, it does mean that we’ve
been able to continue keeping touch with each other over the years.
Conclusion
As I’ve
been writing the above, the tears are freely falling again. Dave was not just a
cousin and a neighbor. He was my best friend for many years and we shared a lot
of experiences together. Now at the age of 77 he has gone on before me to
glory. I will miss him until we meet again in heaven.


No comments:
Post a Comment