Friday, February 6, 2015

Financial Planning – Part 3 – Looking to the future

Working Years

With my education days now over, a house to live in, and a long-term job to support our family, it was time to take a longer view of our finances as well.  The company I worked for had a pension plan (a defined benefit plan – the only kind that existed back then).  They also had a 401K plan where they would match 50% of up to 6% of your salary if you put it there – which I immediately did.  And for a few years they had a plan to buy US Savings Bonds – which I also did, until such time as this was discontinued.  These were my principal savings vehicles – all of which were for the long term.

There were also now two children in our family, so there were four mouths to feed.  And in 18 years they would be going off to college – which was getting more expensive each year.  And then there was that mortgage which would not normally be paid off until 2002 – after the college years.  We had decided that we didn’t want our children to come out of college saddled with the typical debt of college loans, but if that was the case, then we needed to have extra income during those years to pay for it.  So one of the plans was to make extra mortgage payments periodically so that we could pay it off in only 18 years instead of 25.

Finally, with a house and family, I felt that I needed sufficient life insurance.  I had previously purchased a policy when I started grad school (it was fairly cheap because of my age).  I also took advantage of adding to it when there were significant “life events” like getting married and having children.  But that was designed to give replacement income to my wife, not to pay off the substantial mortgage we had.  My wife also had a small policy, basically enough to cover her end-of-life expenses.  So I also purchased a “mortgage cancellation policy”, a combination of whole and decreasing term that was designed to follow the curve of the remaining mortgage until it was retired, and then leaving me with a small whole life policy when it was done.

These plans I followed through on.  We paid our mortgage off in 18 years instead of 25; we were able to make our children’s college tuition payments out of our income (although for those years we essentially planned our year around when the next tuition payment was due); and we kept putting money aside in my 401K.

We made two other changes in our planning.  One was to purchase our burial plot and pre-pay for caskets and perpetual care on the plot when a local cemetery had a “sale” one year.  This would later mean that we wouldn’t have to have money to cover our “final expenses”.  The second was to get long-term-care insurance (our daughter was working for an LTC company and they had made reasonable cost policies to employees and their families).

Over the years we made various improvements to our home.  In order to finance these, I took out a home equity line of credit (at the time it was cheaper than a personal loan).  We would make an improvement, pay back the line of credit, then use it again for another improvement several years later.

At this point I was planning on working until it was no longer “fun,” and I meant by that that I might work past the normal retirement age of 65 – I had no set date in mind.

Retirement comes early – and my preparation pays off

In 2006, when I was just 58, the management philosophy changed at work (as it had done many times before), but this time it became no longer “fun” for most of us working there.  That fall, when it was time to submit our annual personal plans for the coming year, I instead decided to turn in a notice that I was going to retire the following spring – at age 58-1/2.  While I was one of the first ones in our department to do so, many others had the same idea – some gave less notice and retired before I did, others followed on a regular basis over the next few years.  (Several of us formed a group of retirees from our department who meet once each month for lunch – the group is now pretty sizeable.)

I decided it was time that I began working with a financial consultant to validate all my assumptions and get everything set up properly for my retirement.  I chose a lady who was my current agent of that insurance policy I had purchased 35 years before – not because of her experience or the large company she worked with, but because she was making a deliberate choice to do things according to the principles in God’s Word and because she had recently left the agency she was with because they would not support her in that.  She had just announced that she would expand her ministry to be more full service, so I contacted her and signed up as one of her first customers in this new venture.  (FYI – my working with her has met my expectations!)

Chief Learnings

Start early – compound interest really does pay off

Make plans and keep them

No comments:

Post a Comment