Saturday, May 9, 2015

Walking for a Cause

Earlier today I participated in my second annual 5K walk for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I chose to participate because a good friend of my daughter and son-in-law, Becky Leonard, passed away from CF about a year and a half ago.  Becky was a real fighter and never let CF get her down. Despite the limitations that it imposed on her body, she not only finished high school, but went on to graduate from college and worked for a few years until the CF took her life.  The name of the team that we have is called “Team Scrappy” in honor of her and her attitude toward life.

But my purpose in writing this blog is to encourage everyone to get involved in some cause. I could just give a monetary gift to the CFF and say that I had done my part. But by donning a purple shirt that has “Team Scrappy” emblazoned across the front of it and taking a Saturday morning to walk the 5K loop in the Lehigh Parkway with several hundred others, I show that I really care. There are other teams in honor of others with CF – some who are still living and others who have passed on like Becky. There was a large group from one of the area high schools walking in honor of a classmate. The CFF also benefits from all the donations.

And this walk is good for me too. Last spring was my first 5K walk – ever. I used the event to set a goal for myself to get back into shape. I worked for the entire winter building up my stamina – starting with a one mile goal, then two miles, and finally three – using the treadmill in the gym for up to an hour. This past winter I joined the new YMCA in Pennsburg and have been using their indoor track – 10 times around for each mile. My goal this year is not just stamina, but to lose weight as well.

It’s become far too easy in this country to give to a cause – to write a check or to make an online payment using one’s credit card. And that’s not a bad thing – there are many organizations that I support this way. But occasionally we need to not only give of our finances, but to give of ourselves as well. For now, I’ve chosen this cause – it’s one that takes one day a year and it matches up with my timing for getting back into better shape as well.

So, what’s your cause going to be? Will it be something like this 5K? Or perhaps something even more demanding physically? How about a support role with Special Olympics? Or working a few hours a month for your local food bank?


Yes, you should give financially as well if you are able. (That will be the topic for another blog.) But find a way to give of yourself as well. You’ll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment