Monday, April 16, 2018

Genealogy Story – Divorce, Death, and Remarriage


When you are looking back through your family tree it’s not always simple. Besides the difficulty of finding the records for all your ancestors, there are many cases where you encounter more than just a mother and father for an individual. These things called step-father and step-mother crop up from time to time.

Sometimes the original couple get divorced (although that’s not as common in the past as it is today) and one or both of the couple get remarried to another person. Sometimes one of the original couple pass away and the remaining spouse remarries. The step-parent may or may not have had children themselves previously, and the newly created couple may or may not have more children. Thus we introduce step-siblings or half-siblings.

While I’ve commented on many such situations during the course of my own genealogical investigations, I’d like to bring them all together in one place and note some of the consequences of such situations. This will not be an exhaustive list, but I’ll mention a couple of incidents on each leg of my family tree and a few on my wife’s family tree.


My Mother’s Pierpont Line

My grandfather’s mother, Annie [Merrill], passed away in childbirth when my grandfather, Harold Pierpont, was born (*1) (*2). Feeling unable to care for such a young child, his father, Wilson, arranged for him to be bought up by some family friends in the next town. Wilson remarried a few years later, but never brought my grandfather back to live with he and his new wife, Anna [Root] [Hall]. The consequences were that my grandfather grew up without much contact with either his father or his older brothers and sisters.

My great*7 grandfather, James Pierpont, had three wives (*3). The first passed away only a few months into their marriage, the second passed away after only two years of marriage, but the third lived a full life. There was one child by his second wife, but the rest of James’ nine children were by his third wife. Thus, there was fairly minimal impact on his children, although it can not have been pleasant for James to lose his first two wives.

My grandmother’s brother (and my great-uncle), Stanley, desired to get divorced from his first wife. Divorce was not easy to obtain in those days, so he drove all the way to Reno, Nevada, where he could get residency in just a few days, then get a no-fault divorce (*4). He even brought his new love with him as she also needed to get divorced from her first husband. Both of them had children from their first marriages. While this second marriage evidently lasted, the shame of getting a divorce in this fashion caused a rift in the family and contact between Stanley and the other members of the family was quite limited for the rest of his life.


My Father’s Russell Line

My father’s parents, Erskine and Vera, got married when they were both quite young and neither seemed to be ready for marriage (*5) (*6). Even though they had two children together, they got separated when my father was a preschooler and divorced just a few years later. Both later remarried – but to individuals who were considerably older (30 years in the case of my grandmother!) so they had someone to care for them. As a result, my father had a very nomadic existence – moving from place to place, living first with two parents, then one, then two again, then one, then with his mother and very much older step-father, then with his grandparents. This impacted him in later life in ways that I can only imagine since he seldom talked about it.

My father’s paternal grandfather, Louis Russell, had six children with his first wife, Anna (*7). Anna passed away when their last child was only four months old. The family was split up for a while with the younger children “given away” to relatives as Louis did not feel up to taking care of them. Louis eventually remarried, to a lady named Helen who had two previous marriages (and two divorces). She brought three more children into this marriage (*8). Since her children were older, they were no longer living with their mother and thus did not live with their new step-father. About the same time Louis moved to another city, so his children and his step-children were living several miles from each other. There were connections, but visits were not frequent. As a result, I never knew that these step-great-aunts and step-cousins even existed until I started doing my genealogical research – although I have now connected with one of my previously unknown second cousins.

My great-great-grandfather, Walter Russell, was married to his first wife, Lois, for several years and they had six children together (*9). Lois passed away at the age of 28. Walter remarried again to Cornelia and they had four more children. But just 12 years after the death of Lois, Walter passed away at the age of 43 and Cornelia just two years later at the age of 39. The older children were living on their own by then, but the younger ones were put into an orphanage. Even so, all the ten siblings managed to remain in touch with each other in the following years. As the offspring of the oldest of the 10, I have even managed to located and visit with some of the offspring of the youngest of the 10.


My Wife’s Mother’s Wright Line

My wife’s mother’s mother, was Cassie [Cincush] [Eaton] Wright. Cassie was first married to Adolph Eaton. They had five children in the seven years they were married, but Adolph passed away at the age of only 28. Five years later, Cassie married again to Frank Wright, who was 17 years her senior, and she and Frank had an additional five children together. However, Adolph’s mother blamed Cassie for the death of her son, removed the children from Cassie’s care, and forbid any contact with Cassie or her eventual second family. The children eventually decided on their own to ignore this edict, and there made contacts with their half-siblings when they got older.


My Wife’s Father’s VanDeCar Line

My wife’s VanDeCar line is so complicated that I’m not going to try an unravel it here. All the details are in an earlier posting (*10). Suffice it to say that (1) her grandfather, Archibald, divorced and both he and his wife remarried and had more children; (2) Archibald’s father, Dennis, had also divorced and remarried, and (3) Archibald’s mother, Alta, also remarried.  Thus, at one time while growing up, my wife had six “grandmothers” just on her father’s side – a grandmother, a step-grandmother, two great-grandmothers, and two step-great-grandmothers. It was not until after we were married that I was able to unravel this complicated mess of relationships, including step-siblings, half-siblings, and former step-siblings (what do you call a step-sibling if the marriage that makes them related to you breaks up again with yet another divorce?)


Conclusions

Divorce or early death and remarriage is not easy on any of the parties involved. Trying to unravel a family tree that includes any of these events is the least of the problems. It’s the impact on lives – of the parties, their relatives, and especially any children involved – that can be especially tragic. You can see how estrangement from other family members happened in a number of the above examples.

I’m happy that both my parents and my wife’s parents remained married for nearly 60 years. And I’m blessed that my wife and I are quickly approaching our own 50th anniversary in just a few years. But even in our blessed position, we can still feel the impact of the broken relationships in our ancestors lives, and we also have a number of siblings and others close to us who have gone through divorce or early death of a partner.


Notes:




No comments:

Post a Comment