Monday, April 16, 2018

Genealogy Story – Religious Leader Ancestors


I’ve written before about the religious roots of New England (*1). But this is somewhat generic and I’d like to recap all the individuals in my family tree who were actually religious leaders – pastors, etc. I’ve touched on most of them in other blog entries, but I’d like to pull that together here.

Most of my New England ancestral lines can be traced back to the Puritans who settled in the Boston area during the period 1620-1640. While all of these individuals came to America seeking religious freedom, there were many different professions represented. But some of them were, or became, religious leaders as well.

Most of the religious leaders in my family can be found centered around my Pierpont ancestors. There were two brothers who were part of the Puritan group around Boston – John and Robert. While neither of these men were pastors themselves, between them they had 24 children (*2). Many died at a young age, but three of them received their education at Harvard (then a school for religious training for pastors) and entered the ministry – my great*7 grandfather James, his brother Benjamin, and his cousin Jonathan. Benjamin died without children at age 30. Jonathan had one son, also Jonathan, who followed his father into the ministry, but then his son died without children. So only James would have a great influence on others through his continued ministry and family.

James became the pastor of the congregational church in New Haven. And, as I’ve recounted before (*3), his multiple connections to other pastors both through his three marriages and his nine children were significant. In particular, one of his sons also entered the ministry and three of his daughters married pastors. However, his son Samuel died at age 23 in a drowning accident and did not have much influence. Thus, it was his sons-in-law, and my great*7 uncles, Rev. Noyes, Rev. Russell, and Rev. Edwards, through whom this pastor connection passed on. All three of these men had offspring who also became pastors. The most well-known of these men was Jonathan Edwards, who was a leader in the spread of Puritan theology.

But the impact of James Pierpont was not just through his descendants. Through his marriages and children, he also created connections to other religious leaders of the time (*4) (*5).

I have also documented other connections to religious leaders of the time, particularly in the First Church of Roxbury, where the various pastors and deacons are ancestors of mine (*6).

But not all my ancestors were part of the Great Migration into Boston. My wife and I share a common ancestor, Thomas Rogers, who came to Plymouth, MA, as part of the small group of Pilgrims who settled there. While Thomas was not one of the religious leaders of the Plymouth Colony, his grandfather was John “The Martyr” Rogers, who would have been well known to these settlers. John was not only a pastor, but was the individual who completed and published the Tyndale Bible in the UK – and for which he paid with his life (*7).

The only other large group of my ancestors not included in the above were my Jewish ancestors through my paternal grandmother (*8). But while these individuals also came to America due to religious persecution, and while the family name, Levy, indicates that they were descendants of the priestly line of Levi, I have not found any Rabbis among them.

Religion has always been important to me, and I am happy to count so many individuals in my family tree for whom it was their profession.


Notes:



1 comment:

  1. orrection - John Rogers (1507-1555) is NOT the grandfather of Thomas Rogers. There were multiple William Rogers living in the same area of England at about the same time, thus the confusion.

    ReplyDelete