Sunday, May 12, 2019

Cousins, Cousins, Everywhere


Most people grow up knowing their first cousins, and some also know their second cousins. But since very few of us have the opportunity of knowing our great-great-grandparents or the siblings of our great-grandparents, we have little chance of knowing third cousins or beyond. Sometimes we might meet them at a family reunion, but even there we might not be able to state exactly how they are related to us.

It’s only recently, with the ready availability to do online research through such tools as ancestry.com or the Internet, that we can document our relationships to these more distant cousins. And the even more recent availability of DNA analysis helps us to find those distant cousins, although we still sometimes struggle to find out exactly how we are related to the individuals which are identified through our common DNA.

One of the advantages that I have is that I have is that most of my ancestors have been in this country, and in particular in New England, since the 1600s, and that I have been able to document most of them. As I noted in a recent post (*1), I have identified over 1000 direct ancestors who came in those early days. That represents roughly 5% of all the individuals who came to New England during that period of time. So, if I find that someone else has family connections back to colonial New England then there is a good chance that one of their family lines will overlap with mine and there is a distant cousin relationship. In particular, since my family lines are concentrated in Connecticut, if someone has an ancestral line back into colonial Connecticut, I can be pretty certain that I can find such a connection. Here are a couple of examples of those connections.


A Close Friend in PA – I’ve known Bob for over 40 years. We go to the same church, sang in the choir together, sang in a men’s quartet for a number of years, and for the past several years have been in a small men’s group that meets every other week for breakfast. A few years ago, he said to me that he didn’t know much about his ancestors, not even knowing where his grandfather was born. Besides finding out that his grandfather was born in Wales, I checked out the other branches of his family line. I noted to him:

“A couple of your ancestor lines went back into Connecticut, so I decided to see if they might intersect with the extensive family tree I have there. … Your great*3 grandmother was Amy Lewis (1785-1855). Her mother was Mary Terrill. Mary’s grandfather (your great*6 grandfather) was Daniel Terrill (1688-1750). But Daniel is also my great*7 grandfather, making you my 7th cousin, once removed.”

There were also two other lines which intersected with my family tree, so Bob was also my 8th cousin, once removed, and my 10th cousin, once removed.


Another Church Member – About a year ago I was talking to an elderly member of our church, Mary Jane, about genealogy. While her roots are in the Pennsylvania German community (and mine are not), she said that her husband (who was deceased) came to PA from Staten Island and that she believed that before that they were from New England. His last name was Cole. But he was born in 1931 and so would be found in the 1940 census. With only that to go on, I was able to trace back his Cole line not only to Connecticut, but to find a connection in my hometown of Wolcott, CT. As I noted to her in a subsequent email:

“David’s 4th cousin (twice removed) was Francis Cole (1869-1936). He married a woman by the name of Martha Upson who is my 4th cousin (4 times removed) and they lived in my hometown of Wolcott, CT. Francis and Martha’s great-granddaughter [Patty Atwood] lived only a few miles from me and was in the same grade as my sister.”


A co-worker – One of my co-workers for many years, Ron, is retired and we are both part of a group of retirees which meets for lunch once a month. He had noticed my interest in genealogy and said that he was also interested. His ancestor, Jasper Crane, was the founder of the first church in Newark, NJ. But I also knew that the people who founded that city had come from New Haven, CT, first, and had started Newark to be a “better theocracy”. With that in mind, I looked to see if there were any connections in New Haven, where many of my ancestors first settled. Here is what I wrote to him:

“Just confirmed at least one way that we are cousins. Your ancestor Jasper Crane who was in New Haven before he went to Newark is my great*10 grandfather. His daughter, Phoebe, married a Canfield who through a long line of Canfields, eventually married a Northrop. My paternal grandmother’s mother was Caroline Northrop. So, you are my 11th cousin.”


A Landmark House – Just north of where we live is a house that sits on top of a hill right off the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike in Palmerton. Recently there was an article posted on the website of a local TV station about this house and its owner (*2). It said:

“PALMERTON, Pa. - People driving to Palmerton will probably notice a house on a hill. It is called Marshall's Hill, after General Elisha Marshall. Elisha Marshall's father was Chauncey Marshall, a Connecticut Yankee entrepreneur. His mother was Mary Hotchkiss Ward Marshall.”

I’ve seen that house myself every time I am driving south on I-476 and wondered about it. I noticed that the man who built it had roots in Connecticut and I thought that the name of his mother had some familiarity to me. I was able to do some quick research on her ancestral line and then to document a few minutes later about the connection to me. Here is what I posted:

“When I saw that Elisha Marshall’s parents were from Connecticut, I did some quick checking. I have found that Elisha is my 5th cousin (several times removed). His mother was Mary Hotchkiss Ward and her mother was Abigail Wilcox. His great*4 grandfather was William Wilcoxson and William is also my great*10 grandfather.”


Daughter-in-law

The above examples are all connections to people here in eastern PA where I now live. But I was surprised to discover a connection even farther afield – and one that I would totally not have expected. Our son went to college at Taylor University in Indiana. There he met a girl that first summer whom he dated and then married after graduation a few years later. When I began doing genealogy research a few years after that, after building out my own tree and my wife’s tree, I decided to build out her family tree as well.

I was surprised when I found that her maternal grandfather’s middle name was Merrill – a name that was from his grandmother’s maiden name. The Merrill name that also appears in my family tree. Her ancestor was born in Ohio, but in tracing that family line back, I quickly found it came from a family line in Connecticut. There, a few generations earlier, it merged with my own Merrill family line. My son had married my eighth cousin!


Conclusion

There is nothing particularly special about my family tree all these connections. The farther back we can trace our family lines, the more our family tree spreads out and the greater the possibility that all of us our connected in some fashion. It’s only because my ancestral lines have been in New England for so long and because records there are relatively good that I have been able to fill out most of my family lines back for 10 generations or so.

But still, it’s exciting to me when I am able to document the above types of connections. And that’s just part of what makes genealogy so interesting. Who would have thought when I started doing this that I could call some of my church friends, co-workers, and even my daughter-in-law by the appellation “cousin”! Such fun!


Notes:



No comments:

Post a Comment