Saturday, May 4, 2019

Silas Bronson Library Hall of Fame


The Silas Bronson Library’s Waterbury Hall of Fame was established to honor notable Waterbury natives and residents who have made a significant impact on the history of Waterbury or who have achieved recognition for their accomplishments throughout the city, state, country or world. (*1)

The Hall of Fame was established in 1996. To date, 140 individuals or groups have been honored by their induction. Last year my grandfather, Harold Pierpont, was one of the individuals so recognized (*2).

Since I have such a rich family history going back to the origins of the city, I wondered how many of the other individuals/groups so honored are related to me as well. After a bit of research, here is what I have found. Although most of these cousin relationships are many times removed, that is only because they are so many generations before I was born.

Mary Merriman Abbott (1855-1907) – The name Merriman is very prominent in my family tree. Mary’s great*4 grandfather was Caleb Merriman (1665-1703) who is also my great*8 grandfather, thus making Mary my 5th cousin, 4 times removed.

The Brass Worker – As mentioned in an earlier blog, my great-grandfather, grandfather, and father all worked for Scovill. Several other aunts and uncles also worked for either Scovill or one of the other of the “Big Three” copper/brass companies in Waterbury.

William Henry Bristol (1859-1930) – William is a member of the Bristol family. His great*5 grandfather, Henry Bristol, was the first of his family to come to America in the early 1600s. Henry is also my great*9 grandfather, making William my 6th cousin, 4 times removed.

Henry Bronson (1804-1893) – The Bronson family have been part of the greater Waterbury area for many generations. Henry’s great*2 grandfather was Thomas Bronson (1686-1777) who was married to Elizabeth Upson (see another Upson in the list below). Thomas is also my great*6 grandfather, making Henry my 3rd cousin, 4 times removed.

Silas Bronson (1788-1867) – Although he did not live in Waterbury for most of his life, it was a bequest by him to his hometown that established the library which is named in his honor and which sponsors this Hall of Fame. A distant cousin of Henry, Silas is my 3rd cousin, 5 times removed.

John Lyman Chatfield (1826-1863) – My great*6 uncle, John Alcott (1731-1808), was the first person born in the Waterbury side of Farmingbury (now Wolcott). He married Mary Chatfield, who is a first cousin, 3 times removed of John Lyman. The Lyman family lived in Derby and Oxford and John Lyman only came to Waterbury when he was a teenager, a century after his cousin Mary.

Robert Wakeman Hill (1828-1909) – Although my aunt married a man with the last name of Hill, that is not my connection to Robert. His grandparents, Jared Hill and Eunice Tuttle are my great*5 grandparents, making Robert my first cousin, 5 times removed.

David Hoadley (1774-1839) – The Hoadley and Frisbie families figure significantly in my family tree. David’s great grandfather, William Hoadley, is my great*7 grandfather, making David my second cousin, 6 times removed.

Lemuel Hopkins (1750-1801) – The Hopkins family have also been in New England since the early 1600s. Lemuel’s great-grandfather, John Hopkins, is also my great*8 grandfather, making Lemuel my second cousin, 7 times removed.

Samuel Hopkins (1721-1803) – I find it interesting that one of the major influences in Samuel’s life was his mentor, Jonathan Edwards (my great*7 uncle), and that he himself was a central character in the writing of Harriet Beecher Stowe (my 5th cousin, 4 times removed). Samuel is my first cousin, 8 times removed.

Sturges Morehouse Judd (1809-1904) – As his bio notes, Strurges was from Old Danbury, Fairfield county, but he was a descendant of the Judd family from Farmington, CT. His great*3 grandfather was Benjamin Judd (1643-1689) who is also my great*8 grandfather, making him my 4th cousin, 5 times removed.

Frederick Kingsbury (1823-1910) – Although the name Kingsbury may not be very familiar in Waterbury history, Frederick’s wife was a Scovill, his mother was a Leavenworth, and his grandmother was a Bronson. Thus, there was a bit of family connection that enabled him to become the president of Scovill. There are probably several connections to me as well, but through the Bronson family Frederick is my 4th cousin, 3 times removed.

Mark Leavenworth (1774-1849) – I’ve noted in another blog (*3) the complicated relationships that I have to the many founders of Scovill, so I’ll not repeat them here.

Mattatuck Drum Band – This is an organization, not a specific person. However, I have so many connections to the founding of this fine organization and to many of its leaders, that I wrote a separate blog (*4) about it several years ago.

Timothy Porter (1792-1864) – Timothy’s bio says that he was married to Polly Ann [Todd]. However, she was his second wife, his first wife, Clarissa “Clara” Frisbie, having died in 1821. While I am also distantly related through his Porter ancestors, his wife Clarissa was my first cousin, six times removed.

Sarah Johnson Prichard (1830-1909) – Through some complicated connections, Sarah is my 5th cousin, four times removed.

James Mitchell Lamson Scovill and William Henry Scovill – like Mark Leavenworth above, I have already documented my relationship to the Scovill family elsewhere (*3).

John Southmayd (1676-1755) – One of my few direct ancestors, John is my great*7 grandfather.

J. Warren Upson (1903-1992) – As noted in his bio, his Upson ancestors were among the first settlers in the Waterbury area – that would be his great*5 grandfather, Stephen Upson (1655-1735). Stephen is also my great*7 grandfather, making J. Warren my 6th cousin, twice removed.

Caroline J. Welton (1842-1874) – Caroline is best known for donating the funds to build the horse monument on the Waterbury Green. I have previously documented my relationship to her in another blog (*6). She is my 5th cousin, 3 times removed.

Hobart Victory Welton (1811-1895) – Hobart’s brother Joseph married Mary Salina Pierpont, my first cousin, 4 times removed.

Nelson James Welton (1829-1917) – Nelson’s great*2 grandfather was Eleazer Prindle who had also married into the Scovill family. Eleazer is my great*5 grandfather, making Nelson my 3rd cousin, 3 times removed.

There are quite possibly other connections to individuals on this list of honorees where I do not recognize the surname as being connected to my family tree. But I feel honored that so many of my ancestors and cousins have contributed to making Waterbury what it is today.


Notes:


No comments:

Post a Comment