Saturday, June 29, 2019

Russell Connections


Some Root Connections

Recently I was doing some further research into my wife’s family tree and while tracing the lines from her mother (born Mary Ellen Wright), I ran into a distant ancestor by the name of Hannah Root (1662-1706) who lived most of her life in Connecticut. This especially interested me because my grandfather, Harold Pierpont, had a step-mother, Anna Root, with that same last name (*1). I wondered if the two Root women might be related and so I began tracing those two lines. The answers took me down some very interesting paths.

Hannah’s grandfather was Thomas Root (1605-1694) and her great-grandparents were John Root and Mary Ann Russell (1574-1683). Anna’s Root line went back to John Root (1608-1684) who was a younger brother of Thomas. So not only was my wife a distant cousin of my grandfather’s step-mother, but there was a Russell connection as well. Some further investigation was definitely called for.


The Russell Links

Mary Ann Russell was the daughter of Francis Russell (1554-1585) who was the 4th child of Francis Russell (1527-1585). Her marriage to John Root[e] is documented in (*2). But this latter Francis was the 2nd Earl of Bedford. This means that Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford, is the great*11 grandfather of my wife as well as my step-great*11 grandfather.

But there are other connections to the Earls of Bedford that I have previously investigated (*3).

First, going through my grandmother, Sarah [Blackman] Pierpont, and following her ancestral line from Blackman to Talmadge to Sperry to Russell – Sarah’s great*2 grandmother is Mary Russell (1786-1857)). Mary is descended from Lord Edward Russell (1572-1627), the older brother of Mary Ann, and the 3rd Earl of Bedford. Through this path Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford, is my great*14 grandfather.

Finally, my Pierpont great*6 grandfather, Joseph Pierpont, married Hannah Russell. Hannah is descended from William Russell, the 5th child of Francis (*4). Through this path, Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford, is my great*10 grandfather.

What an amazing number of connections to this significant family in England!

The current Duke of Bedford, Andrew Henry Ian Russell, is the 15th Duke of Bedford. His line of descent from the Earls and prior Dukes of Bedford is a somewhat complicated one (*5), but Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford, is his great*13 grandfather. This means that he is my 11th cousin, 3 times removed (as well as my step-12th cousin twice removed and my 14th cousin, once removed) and he is also the 12th cousin, twice removed of my wife.


Connections among the various Russell groups

While I have mentioned some of the connections between the Bedford Russells, the Kingston Russells, the Scottish Russell ancestors in my direct Russell line, and the origin of the family name in Normandy (*3), I’d like to explore that a little more.

The biography of the first Earl of Bedford, John Russell (*6), claims that his father was Sir James Russell, his grandfather was most likely John Russell, his great-grandfather was Sir Henry Russell, and his great-great-grandfather was Sir Stephen Russell. It then notes that “It was long believed that the family was descended from the ancient family of Russell of Kingston Russell in Dorset, which descent was declared unproven by Gladys Scott Thomson in 1930.”

Similarly, the writeup on the Bedford Russell coat of arms in (*5) notes that “The arms show a claim to be descended from the medieval lord Hugh de Rozel, which has been debunked, especially by J. Horace Round in his essay The Rozels of Bedford (1999). The family tree on the website of Woburn Abbey only refers to the descent from the provable Stephen Russell in 1394.”

However, in (*7), it notes that recent research shows that Sir Theobald Russell (1301-1340) was a direct ancestor of John Russell, the first Earl of Bedford, and documents the line of descent in great detail. Thus, it appears that more recent research, with all the advances in DNA analysis and using the Internet to pull together resources that were previously unavailable, has superseded the prior conclusions.

Since the Kingston Russells trace their lineage back to the time of William the Conqueror, this would also mean that all the connections I have documented above take my lineage back to Norman times and prior to that to the Vikings who conquered Normandy in the 900s (and which accounts for the small percentage of Swedish DNA in my blood (*8)).

Finally, my direct Russell ancestors through my father go back to Robert Russell who immigrated to New York from Scotland around 1750. He would have been part of the Clan Russell, an armigerous clan in Scotland (*9). While there is no complete family documented from this clan, they claim connections back to the original Baron Rozel in Normandy through individuals who arrived in Scotland as early as the mid-1100s.


Notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment