Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Too Many Genealogical and Geographic Coincidences


I’ve posted here before how a large percentage of our church are related to each other (*1). Last fall I also gave some of the details about some of the connections that are direct cousin connections to myself (*2). And it was only a month after that where I discovered that someone who had only come to the church fairly recently was connected to me in more than two dozen ways (*3). But little did I expect that these would come together in what I can only call an amazing co-incidence!

Our church choir only sings once a month. Just before the service, we were out behind the sanctuary waiting until it was time to file in together. Three of us were in one of the small rooms there where there are a couple of pieces of soft furniture to sit on – myself, Ruth, and Joy – the latter two being two of the four altos in the choir. Joy had only joined the choir recently and this was the first time that she had been in a situation where she and Ruth could get to know each other. I mentioned to the two of them that they were both distant cousins of mine.

But Ruth was interested in getting to know Joy better and asked where she was from originally. Joy was a missionary in Thailand and then China for many years, but in her response she indicated that her family was in Vermont and that was her “home base” when she was not overseas. Ruth suddenly perked up and asked, “Where in Vermont?”

[I should add at this point that in my tracing the genealogical connections of our church members to each other that generally when I find one connection I document the connection and don’t bother trying to fill out that individual’s full family tree. But, in this case I should have definitely gone farther.]

Joy responded to Ruth that most of her family were in the Burlington area and started listing the small towns around there where her family members currently lived, first noting that her brother lived in the small town of Richmond, VT. Ruth, immediately stopped her and excitedly proclaimed, “my in-laws live in Richmond, and we go there on a regular basis!”

Richmond is a small town of about 4000 people and the “downtown” area has only a single traffic light and perhaps 400 people. Ruth then started describing where in the town her in-laws lived saying things like “turn left at the light”, “the last street before the train crossing”, etc. Joy mentioned that her brother was Uncle Sam on stilts at the annual 4th of July parade and Ruth said, “then I’ve seen him,” as that is one of the major events of town each year (*4).

What a spectacular co-incidence – that two people sitting next to each other in the choir of a church in PA are both connected to relatives in a small town in VT and they have so much in common! And both of them are my cousins as well!

[I have since gone back to do some additional research, especially now that I know how to find Ruth’s in-laws and can trace that side of her family tree. So, I can add two new facts to this connection.
·       Ruth shares at least 6 genealogical ancestors with me and Joy shares at least 24 ancestors with me (they are the two people in our church with whom I share the most connections. But two of the ones that I share with Ruth are in common with the ones I share with Joy. Thus, Ruth and Joy are cousins of each other as well (10th cousins, once removed).
·       Ruth’s husband is Aaron. His parents (Ruth’s in-laws in VT) are also connected to me. Even though most of Aaron’s ancestors are from other places (French-speaking Canada, Italy, Ireland), there is one line that has been in colonial New England (VT, NH, MA, CT) since the early 1600s.

What are the odds that three people sitting in a small room in a church in PA would all be distant cousins of one another, that two of them both have relatives in a small town in VT, and that both those families in VT are also cousins of mine? This is the kind of thing that I really enjoy about doing genealogical research.]


Notes:




No comments:

Post a Comment