Friday, October 13, 2023

Dementia – The Brain Killer

My History

When I was growing up, mental illness was not something that was ever discussed. While it was obvious when someone broke a leg and had a cast, and most other physical ailments were also obvious, mental illness was not talked about. It was not something you could see and there were few treatments available. But there were some that impacted me.

 

My Grandmother

The first was my father’s mother – my “Nana Rogers”. She had been born in 1895 and so she was 53 when I was born. In my early years I was not aware of any issues. She was still living with her second husband and would occasionally visit. Her problems began to be noticed (at least by me) when she was perhaps 60. It was around that time that her husband, “Bampa Rogers”, went into an assisted living center when he was in his late 80’s. At that time Nana also went into a nursing home. Today she would be diagnosed with early-stage dementia, but back then it was not given that name.

Unlike many who have dementia and who get more and more withdrawn, her reaction was to get more and more agitated. She moved from place to place as the nursing home staff could not deal with her. Eventually, she was moved to what was called (at the time), the Connecticut State General Hospital for the Mentally Insane. Our family would periodically go to visit her there – primarily going after church on a Sunday. My mother did not like going in, so she would stay in the car with my younger siblings while my dad and I went in.

The floor that she was on had smaller rooms along both sides of a long hall and a large “day room” at the end. It was a large well-lit room with windows on three sides, and a pleasant place to be – although most of the residents probably did not notice. Those who were ambulatory would often be found sitting on various couches/chairs around the room. Some would wander around. Others, such as my grandmother, would be in wheelchairs. Most were sitting quietly by themselves, but my grandmother’s symptoms included being loud and complaining. Our visits were never pleasant. The staff probably did as best they could, but it could not have been easy for them either.

She passed away in 1963 at the age of only 68. I’ve related that story before. But my first exposure to mental illness was not pleasant.

 

My Father

My father’s dementia was much different. It started much later in life when he was around 80 and he died at age 86. It came on slowly and I would notice that when we went to visit that he would want to go with me on a driving tour of the town and would show me the same things that he had on the prior visit. He was not as sharp as he had once been. The final few years he went downhill more rapidly and at the end he was confined to a hospital bed that my mom had set up in the living room. Being a Christian Scientist, he did not go to a doctor and he had no formal diagnosis of dementia, but it was obvious to all around him. He passed away quietly just a few days before my parents’ 60th anniversary.

 

Others

As I also age myself, I am more aware of others around me who have various forms of dementia. One that was particularly significant was our family doctor whose descent in his final years began almost immediately after his retirement. He was also a family friend and attended our church, so we were very aware of it. Initially, he was still attending, and his wife would lead him around, but after a while he could no longer attend. We once visited him and his wife in their home and he was silently walking around in the kitchen, picking up a utensil and studying it from all angles. He did not interact with us at all and seemed oblivious to our being there.

There are many others – my contemporaries – going through various phases of dementia. I visited one man recently whom I have known for several decades. It was a pleasant visit, but in the half-hour I spent with him there were several stories that he repeated two or three times – being unaware that he had just told me that a few minutes earlier.

 

My Motivation

When my grandmother died, Alzheimer’s was not an available diagnosis. When my father died, it was, but that diagnosis could only be confirmed by a post-mortem brain examination which can uncover the amyloid plaques which are the hallmark of this form of dementia. But in recent years there have been tremendous advances in both the diagnosis and treatment of dementia. We have developed radioactive tracers which bind to the amyloid plaques in the brain so that PET scans can detect them. In the last few years, we have developed drugs which can be infused and which will slow the progression of the disease (two of these now have FDA approval, but they are fairly expensive). And recently we have developed blood testing which can detect the presence of these amyloid plaques (and which are several orders of magnitude less expensive than a PET scan) as well as genetic tests which detect the presence of the APOE4 alleles which increase the risk of developing Alzheimer’s. All of these advances have come because of dementia research and related clinical trials.

It’s because of these exposures, and particularly the history of dementia in my father and grandmother, that I decided to get involved in dementia research. There are actually several forms of dementia, but the most common to people is Alzheimer’s which represents about 60-70% of the total. Others include Lewy Body Dementia (which is what actor Robin Williams was diagnosed with and why he committed suicide) and Frontotemporal Dementia (which is what actor Bruce Willis has been diagnosed with). I initially went through the Alzheimer’s Association which I had been supporting financially for a while. Through them I got a list of various studies which I could enroll in.

 

My Studies

I’m currently involved in several Alzheimer’s studies. I wrote about them a few years ago (see here), but I’ll repeat them here in this context.

 

Aging Brain Cohort (ABC)

I initially enrolled in just one study called the Aging Brain Cohort. It tracks individuals over a long period of time to look at how their memory changes as they age, if it appears that they are getting dementia, etc. There is no requirement that an individual has to have dementia, but they do require that you have a “study partner” with whom they can check to get an accurate assessment of how you are performing. There are several components to the study. Most important is an annual in-person assessment where you take a number of mental tests (the same ones each year). These evaluate your various mental abilities such as copying a figure, connecting small circles in alphabetical order, listing as many words as you can think of that start with a particular letter, listening to and repeating back an increasingly long series of digits (then doing the same in reverse order), giving the name of an object when shown its picture, listening to a short story then repeating it back and seeing how many key points you can remember. It’s a pretty intense hour+ of testing.

They also ask your study partner about some recent events in your life and then see if you can give them key facts about it. There are also physical components to the testing – walking to the end of the hall and back (to observe your gait), following a finger with your eyes (kind of like the sobriety test they give to check for a DUI), closing your eyes and checking to see if you can hear a tuning fork and how faint it gets before you can’t hear it any more, checking to see if the strength in both arms/legs is similar, etc. They also ask for a yearly blood sample. Finally, every two years they give you a brain MRI. I’ve now been in the ABC study for four years and just recently had my second MRI as well as this year’s round of testing.

[Sample MRI scan – not mine]

 


Medial-Temporal Lobe (MTL) Study

The purpose of the MTL study is to better understand age-related changes in brain structure and function and to compare this with the earliest changes of Alzheimer’s disease. The MTL is part of the brain thought to be related to memory processes and is vulnerable to aging and Alzheimer’s. This is a three-year study and this year was my final (I think) session. In order to minimize my trips to Philadelphia, I had scheduled it back-to-back with my annual ABC study.

The tests in this study are quite different that the ones from the other two studies as they are looking at the impact in other parts of the brain. There were several different tests. For example, one was that the coordinator would name a category, such as types of insects, or types of vegetables, or types of alcohol, and you would have to name five things that fit into that category while he kept track of how long it took to give your responses. The upper limit is one minute per category, and I responded generally within 6-7 seconds. Another test was where the coordinator would name two objects and ask you which had the more positive association. So, if the two objects were “banana” and “hurricane”, most people would answer “banana”. But there is no real right/wrong so things like “whiskey” have a negative association with me since I don’t drink, but for others it might be a positive association.

Some tests required you to use a laptop, for example they would show you a small thumbnail picture for three seconds and you would have to hit one key if you felt it was something associated with “outdoors” and another key if you felt it was something associated with “indoors.” So, roller blades would be outdoors, but a book would be indoors. I lost track of how many pictures there were – somewhere between 50 and 100. What they didn’t tell you was that you needed to be able to remember them. The next test was another group of 50-100 pictures and you had three seconds to indicate whether you had seen that picture before, whether you had not, or whether it was “similar” to what you had seen before. For “similar” there were things like the initial group of pictures had a black-and-white patterned dress, the in the second group there was another black-and-white dress but with a different pattern.

The MTL study was allocated 1.5 hours, but because of my speed on many of the tests, we were done in a little over an hour. But it was a pretty intense hour!

 

 APT Webstudy

The Alzheimer Prevention Trials (APT) Webstudy is designed to identify people who may have an increased risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease, using the latest technology to monitor their cognitive performance through regular online memory testing. I’ve been involved in this study for almost four years. This is a totally online study and I go through the testing every four months. Like the ABC study, it is a long-term study that’s looking at memory changes over many years. I’ll not go into the details, but you can look at them in the above reference.

 

AHEAD Study

About a year ago I signed up for a drug-based study. The drug had been recently shown to slow the progression of Alzheimer’s and they wanted to see if it was given to people who did not yet have any symptoms that it might prevent the disease from even starting to show symptoms. Making the step from simple memory testing to getting drug infusions was a significant decision. However, as I related here, while I met all the other qualification steps, when I had a PET scan they found that I had no amyloid plaques in my brain, so I did not qualify. I also found that I had two copies of the APOE3 allele so I did not have any increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s in the future.

 

What’s Next?

While I now know that I am not likely to develop Alzheimer’s, that does not mean that I will end my involvement in this area. I’ll continue the ABC, MTL, and Web-APT studies. I’ve also started looking at other similar studies where my participation may help the advancement of cures for these types of diseases. So far, I have added two new studies to my portfolio. One is called MindCrowd and, somewhat like the ABC study, is looking to track large numbers of people over a long period of time to help understand the brain aging process. They are looking for one million people, world-wide, to enroll in this study. The second one I have signed up for is called PPMI (Parkinson’s Progressive Marker Initiative). This study is working with thousands of participants – both those with diagnosed Parkinson’s and those over 60 who may be at risk for it.

Also, having made the decision that drug-based studies are something I’m willing to get involved in, I have let it be known that I will consider other such studies – not for Alzheimer’s for which I’m not likely to ever have, but for other areas where I might qualify. I’ll detail what’s happening in another blog about my heart/blood issues.

Medical research is somewhat fascinating. When most people hear that term, they avoid any involvement. But I have found the opposite. And for such a not-well-understood area like dementia, even if I do not personally benefit from it, if my participation can help others in the future, then I’m willing to participate. How about you? If you’re interested, let me know!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment