Thursday, July 9, 2015

Wolcott History – Pike’s Hill Cemetery

I’ve mentioned in a past blog about Pike’s Hill Cemetery. This is a small cemetery located along a path in the woods that runs from Woodtick Road to the old Northeast Burying Ground. While many of the original graves in this cemetery were at one time removed to the Northeast Burying Ground, there are six identifiable stones still remaining as well as a number of unmarked field stones. The remaining six stones all date from the late 1700’s and are for individuals who were among the early residents of Farmingbury (before it became Wolcott in 1796). After a little research, I have also found that all these six individuals were close relatives of mine.

Ithamer Alcox (1775-1778) was the young son of Jesse and Patience [Blakeslee] Alcox and the grandson of John and Deborah [Blakeslee] Alcox, one of the earliest settlers in Farmingbury. Since John was my 6th great grandfather, that makes Ithamer my [first] cousin (six times removed).

Lyman Alcox (1765-1781) is an older brother of Ithamer and also my [first] cousin (six times removed).

Matthew Blakslee (1715-1776) [note that the spelling of this last name was one of the many variations of Blakeslee] is the son of Ebenezer (1684-1761) and the grandson of Ebenezer (1664-1731). Since Ebenezer (the elder) is my 7th great grandfather, that means that Matthew is also my [first] cousin (seven times removed).

Rhoda [Beach] Blakslee (1718-1781) was the wife of my cousin Matthew.

Abner Blaksly (1740-1791) [yet another variation of Blakeslee] is a brother of Patience [Blakeslee] Alcox, an uncle to Ithamer and Lyman, as well as a relative of Matthew. He is my 3rd cousin (six times removed).

Rachel Brackitt (1754-1776) [last name is technically Brockett] is the great-granddaughter of Samuel Brockett, my 9th great grandfather, making her my 2nd cousin (8 times removed). She is the only individual in this cemetery not related to the Alcox/Blakeslee family.


(see http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2346586 for further information on this cemetery and these gravestones)

No comments:

Post a Comment