Monday, March 25, 2019

Finding Living Relatives – Part 2


As I noted in (*1), when I started my genealogical research I was motivated by the mistaken idea that upon the passing of my parents that I was then the oldest living individual in my family tree with the surname of Russell. But as I investigated further up the tree, I found other branches where the Russell name was being passed on and was excited to connect to many new cousins. These were not the types of cousins that I had grown up with, i.e. 1st or 2nd cousins, but they were cousins nonetheless. As I made it my goal over the past several years to connect to these individuals there is a great amount of comfort knowing that I am a part of a much larger group of relatives than I had imagined.

I was then very sympathetic when one of these cousins (actually 2nd cousin once removed) also indicated that she felt this same way. Her connection to me is by marriage (her great-great-grandmother Helen married my great-grandfather Louis – it being Helen's 3rd marriage and Louis' 2nd marriage) (*2). But whereas I have four younger siblings and over a dozen 1st cousins with whom I have regular contact, Lauren did not have this type of large family tree. Her parents both passed away fairly young and her only sibling also died at a young age. Her only 1st cousins were through a 2nd marriage of her grandmother and the relationship that she had with them was quite contentious. Her desire for some blood relatives was quite understandable. So I set about seeing what I could do to help her.

I have previously documented the process of doing “sideways research” (*3) and some of the tools that I use (*4). So I was quite familiar with doing this sort of research. But, just like with doing ancestor research, there are often roadblocks and one can never be certain of success. Plus, unlike looking at census records where each line in the record has a date associated with it, when you are looking at contemporary sources, the confirming date is not always available.

There were a couple of key pieces of information/sources that proved quite valuable in filling out Lauren's family tree. The first was finding a couple of obituaries. These are often chock full of useful facts – names of individuals and their relationship to the deceased (and to each other), and sometimes where these relatives live. And even if the grandchildren are only listed without a tie to their parents, there are often clues in their last names or the order in which they are listed. Finding one such obituary is great, finding one in two different branches of Lauren's family tree was even better.

The second source of information was contained within ancestry.com. As one of their chief genealogists pointed out in a recent presentation, one of her favorite places to search is in the card catalog. There are a number of databases in ancestry.com which are not searched when all you do is look for the shaking leaf hints. But once you realize they are there then looking through them can be a key part of your research. In this particular case I quickly realized that many of Lauren's relatives had grown up in Connecticut – just as many of mine did. There is a database that is titled “Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2012” and which contains over 2 million searchable records. Thus, while federal census records are only currently available through 1940, anyone born after 1940 is likely to be found in this index if they were married in Connecticut. And since most traditional marriages take place in (or at least near) the hometown of the bride, that can be used as verification. Thus, I was able to find the marriages of several of Lauren's relatives, including the situations where individuals had multiple marriages (there is also a database called “Connecticut, Divorce Index, 1968-1997” which can help in these cases.)

It took me several hours to complete my research as Lauren's great-grandmother had both a sister and a half-sister. But in the end I had documented about a dozen living individuals (and their families) who were 2nd or 3rd cousins to Lauren. For each I was able to give her an address as well as a potential phone number so that she could make contact with them and begin to experience the joy of finding new relatives and feeling better connected to her extended family!

Doing genealogical research is not only about building a giant repository of all your ancestors. It can also be used to help others to feel better connected – whether to you or to others.


Notes:


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. It is so much more rewarding to share.

    ReplyDelete