Saturday, December 21, 2019

Being an Intrapreneur


Recently I read an article titled “What the ‘Best Companies to Work For’ Do Differently” (*1). The things that they identified as common themes included:
·       Put People First
·       Help Workers Find and Pursue Their Passions
·       Bring People Together on a Personal Level
·       Empower People to Own Their Work
·       Create a Space Where People Can Be Themselves

There were several aspects of this article that reminded me of many of the earlier years of my employment at Air Products (*2, *3). In particular, I recall a former chairman of the company who encouraged being an intrapreneur within the company. His definition of an intrapreneur was “one who interprets the boundaries of their job description liberally.” This really resonated with me and was one of the reasons why I enjoyed working for Air Products. Let me give a few examples.

At one point, I had the position of Managing Analyst. This was a first-level supervisory position where I was supervising the people and projects in a particular functional area. But I had noticed that the groups just down the hall from me were working on a number of large projects and could benefit from the experience that I had in putting together large, complex systems. I started getting to know those individuals and informally helping them when I could. I documented what I was doing in my weekly “work report” to my manager (these were shared among the various managers as well). Several weeks later, I was called into my manager’s office. He informed me that IT management was considering creating a new position called a “Systems Assurance Manager” (SAM for short) which would have no people management responsibilities, but which would work across an entirely functional area of multiple projects and groups. He named the individual that they had been considering for that position, but then said that because I had already, on my own, identified the need for such a role within that group down the hall that they had decided to give the position to me instead! So, on rather short notice, what had started out as my own personal interest became the focus of my career.

Fast forward about 15 years. I had been sounding the alarm about the issues related to the date rollover from 1999 to 2000 (known popularly as Y2K) ever since the early 1980s when I had written a collection of date subroutines that we could include in many of our programs and which would insulate those programs from the impact of Y2K. But there were many places that these subroutines were not used that were still vulnerable. Finally, management gave in to my request and authorized a small project to rehabilitate one large system and document the results. When they read my report on what would have gone wrong if nothing had been done, they took action and created an entire team of people to do the necessary rehabilitation across all our systems. I was given responsibility for all the systems in the Gases Group (over 50% of the company sales).

Part of that was the responsibility for the international locations in several countries. While we found few errors in this sector, I did get to travel to many different countries to oversee any investigation and rehabilitation. At the beginning of 2000, the clock rolled over, and although we still as a company experienced a number of smaller issues, we had successfully averted the disaster it would have been otherwise. But then the next project for me became known. Air Products was looking to acquire the operations of BOC in the US and many of its international operations as well (*4). There was a whole team of people putting plans together for the US operations, and I got selected to work on the other 30+ countries (just myself and one other person!). Having informed myself on all the APCI international operations, I was able to put together a plan for this entire sector. The acquisition was eventually nixed by the FTC, but my knowledge of the international sector had gotten noticed. So following the shutting down of the acquisition team, I found myself being appointed as the IT Account Manager for all our international operations (except western Europe where we had a large IT group). Under my responsibility were eastern/northern/southern Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia, and Latin America. This was the final position in my career at APCI.

Much like the above article indicated, when a company empowers their employees it can create an atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. That was certainly true in my case where I carved out my own unique career path with the encouragement of management – to both my benefit and the company’s. I stated many times during my career that I had no plans for when I might retire and that I would keep working as long as it was still “fun”.

But I suppose that all good things must come to an end. When the company changed from a focus on their employees to one that emphasized “quality” that eliminated “waste”, standardized their operating principles, and no longer allowed for the creativity that had defined us for so many years, the “fun” disappeared. APCI was no longer one of the “best companies to work for” and I, along with many of my long-term compatriots made the decision to leave – in my case “retiring” even though I was only 58.

The above article was right – there are a number of things which the “best companies to work for” do differently and most of them can be traced to certain principles. I suppose I was fortunate to work for a company where work was enjoyable. But when the enjoyment ended, I could no longer see myself working there.


Notes



No comments:

Post a Comment