Thursday, December 24, 2020

My 500th Blog

As we draw to a close the tumultuous year of 2020, I thought it fitting that I also celebrate a milestone in my blog writing – the writing of my 500th blog entry!

I began this journey nearly six years ago on February 1st, 2015 when I was inspired by a few blog entries that one of my brothers had written. Since then, others of my siblings have also gotten into the blog writing habit as have a few of my nieces and, interestingly, one of my grandsons. So it’s kind of become an extended Russell family tradition.

There are a number of different themes in my writing – most of them exploring the many aspects of my interest in the intersection of genealogy, geography, and history. I have taken a few of these major themes and published a synopsis of all the ones in that category as my 497th (Pierpont blogs), 498th (Russell blogs), and 499th (Wolcott History blogs) so that my readers can have a convenient place to find those that interest them.

But I’ve also felt free to write about whatever happened to pique my interest at the time. So, there are few works of fiction (short stories), a few about the various computer technologies that I’ve had the pleasure of working with over the years, and others such as my early attempts at poetry.

When I wrote my autobiography back in 2014, I wrote the following in the introduction:

“When I started genealogical research into my family roots a few years ago I found that I felt bad that I had never taken the opportunity to talk to either of my parents about their heritage and early life before their passing.  So instead I had to rely on my own vague memories for some information and the “glue” that tied it into a story sometimes did not exist.  This book is my own story both so that I can share it with my children now, and so that my descendants have it all available to them after my eventual passing.” 

There is much the same rationale behind my blog – to capture my story and the things that interest me in a place where it can be read by those who come after me – not only my children, but increasingly my grandchildren and beyond.

So, to those of you who are reading this, I hope that I have been able to enrich your lives by giving you a glimpse into mine – my interests, my family roots, etc.

I am not planning on stopping writing any time soon. Should I set a goal of writing blog number 1000? No! I do not write these for that type of goal. I write if and when there is something of interest to write about and I will continue to write as long as I have interests. My life could end tomorrow or it could go on for many years. I might become mentally incapacitated and be unable to write, or I could keep my wits about me somewhat indefinitely.

This 500th blog is merely a milestone along my life’s journey. I hope in reading them that you, the reader, have had your life enriched.

No comments:

Post a Comment