Monday, April 11, 2016

Day 11 – Your current relationship

Day 11 – Your current relationship; if single, discuss that too

I am married to my best friend and my first and only wife, Donna. In July we will be celebrating 45 years of marriage. Recently we have been talking about how it seems nearly impossible that we have been married that long. If just doesn’t seem possible that so many years have gone by and that now we are the “older folks” that we used to see around us.

Donna’s parents lived to celebrate their 60th anniversary and my father passed away just a few days before my parents would have celebrated their 60th. So we do have something to yet look forward to. But predicting how long we each will live is not something that is done lightly, so who knows how long we will live.

But back to the topic of my current relationship, I’m still very much in love with my wife and don’t see that our relationship is ever going to change. If I pass away first, then I will go to my grave still married to my wife. And if she passes away before I do, then I would not consider anyone else. She will always be my “first and only”.

I know that in these days of throw-away relationships, affairs, and multiple, consecutive partners, being married to the same person for so long is almost an anathema. But I’m pleased to say that a life-long commitment is very much possible. And much of the credit for it does not go to us, rather it’s that our primary relationship is first to God before it is to each other. We certainly have had our ups and downs, but by looking first to Him, that puts all else into perspective and He helps draw us back together whenever we have our differences.


So, in looking back to the original question, perhaps it is better answered that my current relationship is that I love God first. And with His guidance, I am then linked to my wife second. And that’s the true winning relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment