Sunday, April 3, 2016

Day 3 - Your first love and first kiss

Day 3 - Your first love and first kiss; if separate, discuss both

I've already posted the story of my first kiss in another entry titled "Romance in the Air", so I'll just repeat that here as part of my answer.
-------------------------------
In July of 1963 I would have been almost 15. There was a girl in the campground [where our family was staying in New Hampshire] around the same age and this was one of my first experiences with having romantic feelings toward a member of the opposite sex. I wasn’t much into girls otherwise. On the night of the 4th of July when we all went to the county fair to see the big bonfire, I asked my father for some money so I could spend the evening with this girl – her name was Marilyn (don’t ask me how such a detail came back to me last night, my mind stores the most amazing facts sometimes!) He gave me perhaps $5, enough for buying some fair food and trying a few of the arcades. In the dark later, sitting and watching the huge bonfire, it was also my first non-relative kiss! A memorable evening indeed. Unfortunately, she and her family left the campground the following day, but the memory stayed with me.
---------------------------------

As far as my first love, I have to admit that my definition of "love" changed as I matured. In 2nd grade, I was "in love" with Annette Funicello of the Mouseketeers on TV and wrote my first poem about her. By the time I got to high school there were girls I was attracted to, but I didn't date anyone - even skipped my senior prom. In college I did date a few girls, but it was only dating and a little infatuation. But when I met the girl who became my wife, it was far deeper than any previous relationship. I began thinking about the person with whom I could see myself spending the rest of my life. There were only a few others who had even been considered in this light and they were mostly already matched with someone else, so were off limits, There was one other girl who I thought might be worthy of a life-long match, but I never even got around to dating her before I met Donna. 

So, in light of what I then classified as "love", I have only had one and here we are 46 years after first meeting and approaching 45 years of marriage together. Our love has only grown stronger over those years and I cannot envision myself ever married to anyone else. She is my one and only!

No comments:

Post a Comment